Today, after 5 hours of school, I managed to find Jivin in the same clothes I sent him to school. Yes ! He did pee/poo in the potty overtime without any accident or being prompted. This indeed, is a greatest achievement, moms of 2-3 year olds will understand this better.
Before I was a mom, When I hear the word “poop” I would cringe and feel very disgusting 💁🏾, today I can go wash my sons poopy bum in the middle of my lunch 🙄😏. It was an easy transition, go through 9 months of pregnancy and 8 jours of labour Bam!! you wipe the first Poop 💩. Believe me That is so so so easy than it sounds. A bum being wiped laying down is easier than one thats running around to sit on your bed 😱😨😰.
Once Jivin turned 20 months the myths and mysteries of potty training started hitting me hard. Stories of moms with older children that I was watching, made it scarier. Then when Jivin was around 22ish months, in our early childhood class we discussed on this topic. There were many pointers put forward and some helped while some dint. So, the Only thing I learnt was, never start a potty training unless the kid and the mom is ready.
I’m not gonna share my story as every one has theirs different from mine. I’m gonna give some pointers,
- Your baby poops (may be pees, but essentially poops) at the time when you sit to have your breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. When they are in diapers, the diaper change can wait for another 5 mins until you finish your food. During potty training its worse, You need to get in action immediately, else you will be scrubbing the floor and your toddlers poops pants 😒, in between your meals.
- The probability of your toddler wanting to pee/poop is very much higher, when you are in your potty 🚽 😭😰. And This can happen in reverse too 😉😊😜.
- There might be many ideas/tips in internet for potty training, which might have a disastrous results. Like I saw this below image in internet and tried it, the result was, I had to fish out crayons and markers out of the toilet 😩😔
- You start with no pressure on kid or me, at one point you will find yourself yelling at your kid to “get on the potty now!” 🙄😣
- Strictly leave the paper towel holder empty. You will figure out why.
- You will yourself on the bathroom floor for the 60% of the day 😒😞😏.
- When you teach your kids about independence and privacy by asking them to stand outside of your bathroom door. They give you back the same. You give them 5 mins of privacy to find the worst mess to be cleaned up 😩😫
- Don’t be surprised if your bathroom smells like a public toilet, even though you clean it daily.
- As a Mom of boy, I can say you will have to hear the nastiest things they say while pooping 😳😵.
- NEVER PLAN A TRIP/JOURNEY IN THE MIDDLE OF POTTY TRAINING.
But seriously guys, I realized potty training isn’t hard. It’s just a matter of time they pick things up.Here are the most important things that drove me easier to potty train my tod was,
- Diaper free Time (daytime).
- Take them to potty every half an hour.
- Never shy away the diaper free time when you are outside. When you know you will be at a place with toilet access try it!!
- Reading lots of book on potty training. “Potty” by Leslie Patricelli was Jivin’s Favorite.
I am hoping for a smoother night time potty traning too. Fingers crossed and open for suggestions .
Thanks for reading !!